There are a number of scholarship opportunities for graduate studies.
- Scholarship through Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MOFAT):
This scholarship is for foreign applicants only.
Detail of this scholarship and application procedure can be obtained from MOFAT website: http://www.mofat.gov.bn/Pages/BDScholarship.aspx
- Ministry of Education (MoE) Scholarship:
This scholarship is for Bruneians (Yellow IC) applicants only who are not more than 30 years old. It is offered to the applicants who are accepted for admission (PhD, Master’s by Research and Master’s by Coursework). University usually does the processing to forward the scholarship request to the Ministry of Education once the applicant accepts the admission offer as well as submitting the scholarship application form.
The scholarship includes tuition fees waiver and a monthly allowance of about BND 400.
- UTB Scholarship for Graduate Students
UTB scholarships are provided to:
- Attract high caliber candidates to conduct full-time graduate studies by research (Masters or PhD) and to contribute to research outcomes
- Support life-long learning through financial support to highly motivated candidates who cannot qualify for MOE scholarships (such as due to age)
- Attract highly qualified international candidates and contribute to diversity among UTB community
Terms of Scholarship
- Waiver of programme fees only. Other fees apply
- Stipend of BND 750 per month for up to 24 for Masters by research and 36 months for PhD programmes
- UTB scholarship is provided for Full-Time graduate by research students only
- A once return airfare to country of origin is provided for international scholarship recipients
- The scholarship cannot be held with other financial support unless written approval is given by UTB
- Assist in supervised teaching and learning activities in appropriate modules as required by UTB
- UTB reserves the right to amend terms of the scholarship at any time
Candidates must be:
- Citizens or permanent residents of Brunei or international students. The scholarship is conferred based on academic excellence. If candidates have equal academic excellence, the scholarship will be conferred to citizens and permanent residence of Brunei and international students, in that order of preference
- Holders of First Class honours undergraduate degree, or if applying using Master’s degree, holders of Master degree with distinction/merit from a university acknowledged by UTB Senate (For applicants in the PhD programme)
- Holders of at least a Second Upper class honours undergraduate degree from a university acknowledged by UTB Senate (For applicants in the MSc by Research programme)
- While candidates with the above degrees from reputable universities are eligible, those from prestigious, rigorous and highly ranked universities will, everything else being equal, have an advantage.
- Recipients must be under the age of 35 years at the time the window for graduate admissions closes.
- Other scholarships:
There are research assistantship opportunities depending on the available research funds.