Welcome to the Planning and Development Office (PDO).
The PDO is established in 2014, under the Vice-Chancellor’s Office to overlook the last UTB 2013/18 Strategic Plan vision. Last year, UTB has successfully achieved its vision “To Be Amongst the Best 10 University for Engineering and Technology in South East Asia by 2018” based on QS ranking data. It brings a close to the last strategic plan.
As UTB moves forward, the new UTB 2019/23 Strategic Plan has been developed and completed. The new exciting vision “A Global University Impacting Society” aims to extend UTB contributions toward Brunei Wawasan 2035 and produce future graduate that can bring impact and development to the nation.
The PDO will continue to monitor the university’s strategic development and work collaboratively across the Faculties, Schools and Administration to develop enabling strategies and integrated plans that support the University’s Vision and move toward making UTB a global university through its new initiates.
We also analyse and provide high quality UTB information to internal and external stakeholders. The PDO is also responsible for UTB QS ranking and QS StarsTM rating project.
The PDO Team
The PDO consists of a team of four looking after these areas:
- University Ranking and Rating
- Strategic Plan Monitoring
- Business Intelligence
Dr Lim Tiong Hoo
T: +673 2461020 Ext 1237
Dr Lee Kok Yueh
Strategic Analyst Coordinator
Dr. Aida Maryam binti Hj Basri
Strategic Intelligence Coordinator
Ak Muhammad Rahimi bin Pg Hj Zahari
The PDO is responsible for
- The University Ranking and Stars Rating Project.
- Engaging with the Vice-Chancellor and executive to establish the strategic planning themes for the forthcoming year develop long-term strategy and set performance metrics.
- Undertaking other tasks as directed by Vice-Chancellor.
- Reviewing UTB Strategic Plan 2019-23 and performance against key performance indicators.
- Informing the university’s Principal Officers of advice or decision made by the Vice-Chancellor on matters pertaining to the implementation of their strategic initiatives or UTB vision.
- Making recommendation to Vice-Chancellor on seminar, conferences, workshop, status and QS related matter.
- Organising and recommending workshop, retreat, seminars and conferences related to UTB’s Strategic Plans 2019-2023.
- Responding and liaising with the Ministry of Education and other Government Ministries with matters related to a National Strategic Plan
- Maintaining strategic and productive working relationships through consultation and networking with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to achieve the university objectives.
UTB Ranking and Rating Project
The PDO is given the responsibility to lead and manage the UTB ranking and rating project in July 2014. The objectives of UTB ranking and Rating Project are to include UTB in QS University Ranking by 2018 and to benchmark UTB against other Universities in the World
UTB QS Star Rating Project
In July 2017, the PDO submitted UTB’s institutional data to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), an international ranking body based in London. Over 50 indicators were analysed.
In Sept 2017, UTB became the first university in Brunei Darussalam to be awarded with QS four Stars rating.
Nine months later, QS invited UTB to submit 12 additional data for the new program strength category introduced by QS in Aug 2017. In Aug 2018, QS upgraded UTB to five stars making UTB, the first and only Five Stars rated University in Brunei Darussalam. With this rating, it puts UTB alongside some of the very best universities in the world.
For more details on UTB QS Rating Analysis, please visit UTB QS five Stars Rating Report
UTB QS Ranking Project
UTB achieved its vision in October 2017 when UTB was included in the 2018 QS Asia University Ranking at 165, using the analytical data submitted in February 2017. This is a significant milestone for UTB 9 years after being upgraded to a university status. UTB stands at position #9 amongst universities specialising or offering Engineering and Technology programs in Southeast Asia (SEA), featured in QSAUR. UTB also stands at #40 amongst Engineering and Technology Universities in Asia and #30 in Southeast Asia. Currently, UTB is ranked #181 in QS Asia University Ranking 2019.
In June 2018, UTB enters QS World University Ranking for the first time at #465 and QS Top 50 under 50 young University Ranking at #56, 8 months after being included in QSAUR.
For more details on UTB QS Ranking Exercises, please visit
UTB Rankings and Rating Project Timeline
Jan 2015 – QS Star Project Initiated
Aug 2015 – QS Star Preliminary Assessment
Mar 2016 – Official Registration to QS (Name Changed)
Feb 2017 – Data Submission for QS Asia University Ranking
Jul 2017 – Data Submission for QS Stars Rating
Sep 2017 – The first University in Brunei Darussalam with QS Four Stars.
Oct 2017 – QS Asia University Ranking @ 165
Oct 2017 – UTB achieves its vision being #9 E&T University in SEA.
Feb 2018 – Data Submission for QS World University Ranking
May 2018 – Additional Data Submission for QS Stars Project
Jun 2018 – QS World University Ranking @ 442
Jun 2018 – QS Top 50 under 50 2019 University Ranking @ 57
Aug 2018 – The only 5 Stars University in Brunei Darussalam awarded by QS
Oct 2018 – QS Asia University Ranking @ 181
- Top 300 QS World Ranking
- Top 150 QS Asia Ranking
- 5 Stars QS Star Rating.
- UTB Strategic Plan 2019-23
- Times Asia University Ranking 2022
Be part of UTB Networks
University Partnership Program For University/Academic
University Graduate Network For Graduate
Industrial Partner Program For Industries/Companies
We are happy to answer any queries or consultation regarding:
- Support for analysis of institutional data
- Ranking, Rating and Auditing, Key Performance Indicators, Institutional Metrics