The Smart Junior Competition is open to Bruneian school students from the lower secondary levels or equivalent to Year 7 to Year 9 by 1st February 2021. Each group of participant(s) must submit a report which captures their innovative idea on a new technological product or process or a modification(s) of an existing product, process or technology, that can improve or enhance its function or quality. The objective of this competition is to encourage and promote creativity and innovation among the younger generation
The participants do not need to prepare any product or process prototype, however, as part of the assessment criteria, they will be required to present their idea through:
- a report,
- an A1-sized poster and
- a short presentation (maximum of 15 minutes) to the evaluators.
Rules and Regulations
- 1. The entry and proposal forms can be found on the website http://www.utb.edu.bn/cipta
- The Smart Junior competition is for Creating a New or Modifying Existing Product, Process or Technology. However, the participants are only required to present their ideas and no product or process prototype is required to be prepared.
- The competition is open to Bruneian residents with a valid Brunei identity card and who are still enrolled in a Bruneian school from the lower secondary levels or equivalent to Year 7 to Year 9 by 1st February 2021.
- A participant can join the competition as an individual or as a member of a team. Each team can have a maximum of three members only (including the team leader). No changes of team members are allowed after the submission deadline.
- Each entry must be supervised by a teacher(s) and be nominated and endorsed by the participant's school. Only one entry is allowed per school and as a result, each participant can only submit one entry.
- For the individual entry, the participant must be a yellow/purple identity card holder. For the team entry, there must be at least one yellow/purple identity card holder within the team.
- For the team entry, there must be at least one yellow/purple identity card holder within the team.
- The entry fee for this category is BND 20.00.
- The fee is non-refundable and can be paid in either:
a) cash, cheque (payable to Universiti Teknologi Brunei), debit/credit cards, or
b) bank account transfer,
*Upon submitting: the entry form, proposal form and scanned copies of the photographic identification pages of the identitiy cards / passports of all participants.
a) Payment by cash, cheque or with debit/credit cards can be made at:
First floor, Administration Block
Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB)
b) Payment details for bank account transfer are as below:
Account Name : Universiti Teknologi Brunei
Account No. : 00-001-01-0045184
Bank : Bank Islam Brunei Darussalam
Bank Address : Lot 159, Jalan Pemancha, Bandar Seri Begawan BS8711, Negara Brunei Darussalam
Swift Code : BIBDBNBB
Once the bank transfer has been made, the copy of slip or bank advice must be submitted and uploaded together with the other related documents
- For Smart Junior Competition, the Approval and Endorsement section of the entry form must be filled in by the Supervisor, accordingly.
- The Declaration section of the entry form must be electronically signed by the Supervisor, accordingly. Incomplete or late entries will not be accepted.
- Each entry needs to provide a preliminary description of the innovative idea in the Proposal form. Further instructions can be found in the form. It can be written either in Malay or English language.
- The entries will be reviewed and participants of shortlisted entries will be notified.
- Participants of shortlisted entries will be required to produce a final report that provides a detailed description of the innovation/product. The description must not be significantly different from the preliminary description in the entry form. Further instructions will be provided accordingly.
- The innovative idea must be original and has not been published, submitted to other competitions or copied from other sources. Many past entries have been disqualified as a result of having been entered into other competitions and the participants are hereby informed of this.
- An A1-sized poster describing the concept of the innovative idea has to be prepared. Before the judging day, the poster has to be set-up and displayed for judges’ inspection at Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB), Brunei Darussalam
- During the judging day, participants have to deliver a presentation on the concept of the innovative idea for the purpose of evaluations at UTB, Brunei Darussalam. The presentation content should be based on the participant’s final report. All members must be present on the judging day except for cases of unforeseen circumstances.
- Participants need to make their own arrangements to come in person to set-up and present at UTB, Brunei Darussalam. UTB, as the organiser, will not be providing any support in presenting their innovations/products except for basic equipment like a projector and a computer.
- All decisions of UTB (including those of the shortlisting and judging panels) are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
Suitable judges for the assessment and evaluation of the work will be identified and appointed by the organising committee. The rules and guidelines for judging the work will also be prepared by the organising committee.
The assessment of the entries will be conducted in two stages:
|Stage 1:||Preliminary Assessment|
All entries will undergo a preliminary assessment. Only qualified entries will be allowed to proceed into the stage 2 of the competition.
|Stage 2:||Final Assessment|
Teams and individuals of the selected projects will have to present and exhibit or make arrangements to be assessed by the judges for their final assessments.
The criteria for judging the projects may include the following:
1. Novelty and Creativity.
2. Social and Sustainable considerations.
3. Relevance to the theme.
4. Poster, report and presentation.
1st Prize - B$ 1 000.00 cash & certificate
2nd Prize - B$ 800.00 cash & certificate
3rd Prize - B$ 500.00 cash & certificate
2 Consolation Prizes - B$ 200.00 cash and certificate
All participants will be issued with participation certificates.