New Invention & Innovation Category
|New Invention & Innovation Category.|
|Young Inventor Category.|
covers the invention of a new product, process or technology as well as a modification(s) to any existing product, process or technology, that can improve or enhance its functionality or quality.
Young Inventor Category
is open to ASEAN school students in the upper secondary schools or pre-university or equivalent with an age range between 15 and 18 years old by 1st February 2021. This category covers the invention of a new product, process or technology as well as a modification(s) to any existing product, process or technology, that can improve or enhance its function or quality.
Rules and Regulations
- The online entry form can be found on the website http://www.utb.edu.bn/cipta
- The ASEAN New Invention and Innovation competition is for the invention of a new product, process or technology as well as a new modification(s) to any existing product, process or technology, that can improve its function or quality.
- The ASEAN Young Inventor category is for the invention of a new product, process or technology as well as a modification(s) to any existing product, process or technology. This category is limited to Young Inventors only with age range between 15 and 18 years old by 1st February 2021.
- The innovation/product submitted must be in the form of hardware or a combination of hardware and software. Software only products are not acceptable.
- The ASEAN New Invention and Innovation category, and the Young Inventors category are open to residents of all ASEAN countries, excluding Brunei Darussalam. For the ASEAN Young Inventor category, the participants must still be enrolled in a school in an ASEAN country with an age range between 15 and 18 years old by 1st February 2021.
- A participant can join the competition as an individual or as a member of a team. Each team can have a maximum of three members only (including the team leader). No changes of team members are allowed after the submission deadline.
- For Young Inventor Category, each entry must be supervised by a teacher(s) and be nominated and endorsed by the participant's school.
- The entry fees for the ASEAN categories are:
- USD 200 for New Invention & Innovation Category; and
- USD 100 for Young Inventors Category.
- The fees are non-refundable and should be wired by Bank Telegraphic Transfer to Universiti Teknologi Brunei upon submission of the entry form.
Upon submitting: the entry form, proposal form and scanned copies of the photographic identification pages of the identity cards / passports of all participants
- Participants should ensure that the bank charges in both their home country and in Brunei have been factored in such that the exact amount will reach Universiti Teknologi Brunei. These fees should be paid to the following account:
- These fees should be paid to the following account:
Account Name : Universiti Teknologi Brunei
Account No. : 00-001-01-0045184
Bank : Bank Islam Brunei Darussalam
Bank Address : Lot 159, Jalan Pemancha, Bandar Seri Begawan BS8711, Negara Brunei Darussalam
Swift Code : BIBDBNBB
Once the bank transfer has been made, the copy of slip or bank advice must be submitted and uploaded together with the other related documents
- Receipt confirmation of the entry fee will be notified to the participants together with further information.
- For Young Inventor Category, the Approval and Endorsement section of the entry form must be filled in by the Supervisor, accordingly.
- For ALL Categories, the Declaration section of the entry form must be electronically signed, accordingly. Incomplete or late entries will not be accepted.
- Each entry needs to provide a preliminary description of the innovation/product in the Proposal form. Further instructions can be found in the form. The description has to be written in English language. The final innovation/product submitted for the judging phase must not be significantly different from this preliminary description.
- The entries will be reviewed and participants of shortlisted entries will be notified.
- Participants of shortlisted entries will be required to produce a final report that provides a detailed description of the innovation/product. Further instructions will be provided accordingly.
- The innovation/product must be original and has not been published, submitted to other competitions or copied from other sources. Many past entries have been disqualified as a result of having been entered into other competitions and the participants are hereby informed of this.
- In light of the current pandemic situation, the competition format for ALL ASEAN Categories for CIPTA 2021 will be conducted online and participants are not required to be physically present during the judging day.
- Following to the above issue and subject to travel restrictions, it is the responsibility of the individuals who plan to come to Brunei Darussalam, to be present on receiving their award during the award presentation ceremony.
- For the Young Inventor Category, it is the responsibility of the school to ensure the participants who plan to come to Brunei Darussalam, to be present on receiving their award during the award presentation ceremony, to have already completed and submitted to their affiliated school, the appropriate indemnity and parents’ consent forms before coming to Brunei.
- It is the responsibility of the participants and those accompanying them (teachers, parents, partners, etc.) to have purchased the necessary travel insurance for their travel to Brunei.
- It is the participants' responsibility to obtain the necessary visa to travel to Brunei Darussalam. For more information, please refer to http://www.mofat.gov.bn/Pages/Visa-Information.aspx.
- Participants are also responsible for any taxes, handling fees, customs clearance charges, and so forth, required by their country and Brunei Darussalam for bringing their innovations/products into and out of Brunei Darussalam respectively. For more information, please refer to http://www.mof.gov.bn/Customs/Import-and-Export-Procedures.aspx and similar pages on that site.
- UTB will sponsor one return airline ticket and provide accommodation for one person from the winner of each ASEAN category to attend the final award ceremony in Brunei Darussalam.
- All decisions of UTB (including those of the shortlisting and judging panels) are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
Suitable judges for the assessment and evaluation of the work will be identified and appointed by the organising committee. The rules and guidlines for judging the work will also be prepared by the organising committee.
The assessment of the entries will be conducted in two stages:
|Stage 1:||Preliminary Assessment|
All entries will undergo a pre-qualification assessment. Only pre-qualified entries will be allowed to proceed into the final stage of the competition.
|Stage 2:||Final Assessment|
Teams and individuals of the selected projects will have to present, exhibit and make arrangements in person to be assessed by the judges for their final assessments.
The criteria for judging the projects may include the following:
1. Novelty and Creativity.
2. Deployment of end product.
3. Relevance to the theme
4. Social, Economic and Sustainable design considerations.
5. Report and Presentation of project.
Awards and Prizes
New Invention & Innovation Category1st Prize - B$ 6 000.00 cash & certificate
2nd Prize - B$ 4000.00 cash & certificate
3rd Prize - B$ 2000.00 cash & certificate
Two Consolation Prizes - B$ 500.00 cash and certificate
Young Inventor Category1st Prize - B$ 3 000.00 cash & certificate
2nd Prize - B$ 2000.00 cash & certificate
3rd Prize - B$ 1000.00 cash & certificate
Two Consolation Prizes - B$ 250.00 cash and certificate
All participants will be issued with participation certificates.
Winner from the New Invention & Innovation Category will be eligible to compete with winners from the Local Competition; Categories 1 and 2 for the Crown Prince Special Award to win the grand prize of BND 8000 and a Trophy.