Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB) is inviting interested applicants to fill the following position for the Screen Retention Test Project:
Position : Postdoctoral Fellow
Salary : PT2 ($3,880 – $4,960)
Duration : Maximum of three (3) years
Principal Investigator : Professor Dr Stephen Tyson, C.Math,
Chair Professor, Petroleum Engineering
The Petroleum and Chemical Engineering programme area, Faculty of Engineering at Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB) seeks to hire a Postdoctoral Fellow with a PhD from an accredited institution in geosciences, mathematics or physics, petroleum or chemical engineering or equivalent qualifications based on professional experience and otherwise qualified to perform assigned duties.
The position is funded by a research project with Brunei Shell Petroleum Company Sendirian Berhad (BSP) to develop a laboratory facility to provide screen retention tests, and an associated numerical simulation capability. The successful applicant will be employed on contract for a maximum duration of three years.
The successful applicant must be capable of working to deadlines as a member of a small multinational team as part of an industrial research project. They will be expected to be able to talk confidently with industry experts in the field of production technology and sand control. The scope of the project includes geology, geophysics, geomechanics, numerical simulation and the successful candidate will be expected to become familiar with all aspects of the problem outside their speciality.
They will be expected to present research results to the industry client as well as papers and presentations in conferences. They will also be expected to supervise graduate students.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- Expected to specialise in one or more of the following areas;
- Rock and fluid sample collection and analysis
- Design and execution of analytical experiments
- Statistical studies of rock and fluid properties
- Design and calibration of numerical simulation
- To prepare reports and presentations for client
- To produce publication of research through journal papers and conference presentations
- To supervise graduate students
- To comply with UTB’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) policy which for this project mandates compliance with BSP’s HSSE policy
- To comply with UTB’s ethics policy which for this project mandates compliance with BSP’s business integrity policy and supplier code of conduct
- To report to the Principal Investigator of the Screen Retention Test Project
- PhD Degree in Geosciences, Petroleum or Other Engineering related fields, Mathematics or Physics from a recognised and accredited university
- Active membership of professional organisation, SPE, EAGE, IAMG, IMA, or similar
- Certificates from industry training courses
- Strong background in petroleum engineering, production technology or reservoir characterisation
- Work in petroleum industry or on industry-funded research projects
- Laboratory experience in sand grainsize tests and screen retention tests
- Ability to work in a team
- Effective time management and respect for project deadlines
- Ability to create high-quality reports and presentations
- Ability to contribute to team creative thinking
- Numerical simulation in DEMs or fluid dynamics
- Strong numerical and statistical skills
Interest applicants are invited to complete an application form and send detailed curriculum vitae including copies of academic certificates and transcripts with recent passport photo, copy of passport / identity card (for local applicant), research interest, research involvement, publication list, one-page personal statement and a research proposal not exceeding two pages via email, with the subject title: UTB/PostDoc/2021/01-SRT – Applicant’s Name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Closing date: Wednesday, 31st March 2021 at 4.30 pm.