School of Computing and Informatics
SCHOOL OF COMPUTING AND INFORMATICS
School of Computing and Informatics (SCI) was originated from the Department of Computing and Information Systems that was established in 1986 when Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB) was still at its infancy. It was then made one of the department under the School of Business and Management in 2003. When UTB was upgraded to a university in 2008, it became a program area under the Faculty of Business and Computing. Recognising the rapid growth in the fields of dedicated computing systems and creative informatics, SCI was formed in 2014 and consists of three programme areas:
As part of the journey to the University’s aspiration to become a ranked engineering and technology university, our mission is to produce graduates with exceptional life-long-skills and relevant competencies through innovative teaching and research. Our school has successfully produced excellent programmers, software engineers and industrial leaders and we will continue to be the main drivers in areas of strategic importance nationally and globally.
Our school is currently offering undergraduate programs and postgraduate degree by coursework and research.
For more information on postgraduate programs, please go to Graduate Studies and Research Office.
As part of our ongoing project and responsibility to maintain and develop standard educational qualifications, the School of Computing & Informatics (SCI) was seeking accreditation from the British Computing Society (BCS), UK. BCS accreditation of degrees is an important benchmark of the standard of Higher Education programmes and their contribution to the IT profession. We have been engaging with BCS by becoming an Educational Affiliate and received accreditation for our undergraduate programmes (BCS only accredits programmess with at least one cohort of students graduated).
How does it affect our programmes?
Accreditation has not changed our curriculum and teaching pedagogy very much but it has placed strong emphasis on the legal, social, ethic and professional issues related to the computing industries. Some important highlights resulting from the accreditation process included: ensuring the learning outcomes of our School are well mapped and represented in every programme, final year projects are kept to the highest standard with comprehensive guidelines and supervisions, and ensuring the majority of modules taught across all programmes meet the criteria of international industrial standards and best practices. An important benefit of accreditation is the opportunity to consult at length with experts and getting feedback for our programmes and modules for development and improvement. The exchange is invaluable in ensuring our School's future direction and was an important agenda for BCS.
Benefits of Accreditation
The BCS accreditation provides a number of benefits:
- Relevance – BCS accreditation ensures our programmes:
- meet the high standards set by the profession
- meet employer’s needs
- provide a solid underpinning in computing
- Recognition – graduating with a BCS accredited programmes provides:
- the opportunity to apply for professional membership of BCS (MBCS)
- a progression pathway to professional registration by fulfilling (either partially or fully) the academic requirements for CITP, CEng, CSci or IEng statuses
- a potential advantage when looking for a job as some employers may look for graduates with accredited degrees
- Assurance – the accreditation we received from BCS, demonstrate our commitment in ensuring our programmess are relevant and support progression for our students
- An international benchmark –our accredited degrees are recognised by other countries that have signed international agreements
Dr. Au Thien Wan
School of Computing & Informatics
T: +673 2461020 Ext 5350
Dr. Mohamad Saiful Haji Omar
School of Computing & Informatics
T: +673 2461020 Ext 5362
Awg Haji Idham Mashud bin Haji Mashud
T: +673 2461020 Ext 5233
Dr. Hjh Nor Zainah Siau
Computer & Information Systems
T: +6732461020 Ext 5248
Dr Wida Susanty binti Haji Suhaili
Computer Network Security
T: +673 2461020 Ext