The Applied Mathematics and Economics (AME) programme is a blend of mathematics and economics to provide the quantitative tools necessary for modern economic analysis and mathematical applications. The combination of both provides variety of important applications such as optimisation, operational research, predicting and forecasting of economic and financial health. The study involves developing problem-solving skills and applying them in financial and economic sectors for developments. Skill and knowledge gained from the study can be used to solve a broad range of issues related to economic development and financial crisis. For instance, statistical modelling of economic relationships and the effective use of the methods of testing of hypotheses to real-time data can be a solution to those issues.
The first two years of the programme focus on building students’ knowledge of fundamental mathematical and economic tools. Examples include optimisation, linear algebra, microeconomics, macroeconomics and econometrics. The latter years of the programme take these skills to an advanced level through the application of modern-day problem-solving techniques. Students will graduate with competence in a number of software packages including STATA and MATLAB. This programme will thus aim to prepare students to make a strong contribution to the workforce.
Upon successful completion of this programme, graduates are able to:
- Use the knowledge acquired in their profession at various management levels or specialised areas.
- Explain the knowledge and skills gained in mathematics and economics using computer technology effectively.
- Apply the acquired knowledge and skills in mathematics and economics to promote economic growth.
- Communicate effectively the applications of mathematics and economics to uplift the society’s knowledge level.
- Make use of mathematical methods in economics related data for decision making with strong ethical standards.
- Employ the mathematical tools and apply the economics theory to understand, analyse and resolve the relevant society’s issues.
- Develop efficient and economic work plan to achieve the targets timely.
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Applied Mathematics and Economics
Programme length: 4 years
The aims of the programme are to:
- To lay a strong foundation on the fundamental concepts of mathematics and economics.
- To provide a thorough knowledge in the current areas of applied mathematics and economics for responding positively to the future changes in technology.
- To impart analytical and computational skills through several kinds of learning environments for developing self-thinking and analysing capabilities.
- To create awareness on the expected ethical standards and social responsibility for developing the personal qualities that are essential in the global arena.
Careers and Further Studies
Graduates from this programme can find employment in wide range of commercial sectors. They can be employed as system analysts, economic analysts or computer programmers. Graduates can be employed in the government or private sectors such as treasury, banks, insurance companies or any other departments that require mathematics and economics skills. The degree also provides a platform for entrepreneurship and/or further study at postgraduate level. Applied mathematics skill and knowledge have high social value and can also be used in other applications, e.g. computer science, actuarial science, city planning, climate science, and so on.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicants for admission to first degree programmes must satisfy the following minimum entry requirements:
- At least a Credit Six in the Malay language at GCE Ordinary Level (applicable only for Bruneians applying for a Government Scholarship).
- At least a Credit Six in Mathematics at GCE Ordinary Level or its equivalent.
- At least a Credit Six in English Language at GCE Ordinary Level or an IELTS score of 6.0 or TOEFL minimum overall score 550 or its equivalent.
- Programme Entry Requirements
Programme Entry Requirements
The minimum admission requirements for this programme are:
- A minimum of 200 ‘A’ Level points for 3 ‘A’ level passes in subjects include Mathematics and two relevant subject (normally include Further Mathematics, Economics, Accounting, Business, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Thinking Skills, Sociology, Information Technology)
- A minimum of 180 ‘A’ Level points for 2 ‘A’ level passes in subjects include Mathematics and one relevant subject (normally include Further Mathematics, Economics, Accounting, Business, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, Thinking Skills, Sociology, Information Technology)
- An International Baccalaureate Diploma score of 24 points from relevant subjects at standard level including Mathematics and one relevant subject (normally includes Economics, Business and Management, Computer Science, Physics and Chemistry)
- A relevant BTEC/BDTVEC Higher National Diploma or its equivalent with a minimum of merit grades in 60% of modules including Mathematics.
- Standard admission requirements for mature candidates as prescribed by UTB apply.
Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Mathematics and Economics
Melayu Islam Beraja
Introduction to Mathematics for Economics
Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Mathematical Economics
Principles of Macroeconomics
Environment, Leadership and Technoprenuership and Social Innovation
Differential Equations I
Computational Mathematics I
Principles of Econometrics
Business Strategy, Ethics and CSR
Computational Mathematics II
Data Mining Techniques
Non-programme specific module
Differential Equations II
Time Series Econometrics
Final Year Project
Management of Technology and Innovation
Final Year Project
Elective I (Mathematics)
Elective II (Economics)
Total Programme CV
Mathematics Elective Modules for Semester 8
Economics Elective Modules for Semester 8
Investment and Portfolio Management
AME programme has been designed in order to obtain accreditation from the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) (Applied Sciences Unit) and/or Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA).